Set-up Routers (WRT54G) Using PLDT PPoE Settings

Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Filed under ,

I had problem configuring my friend’s router to work with PLDT (One of our local ISP in Philippines ). My friend’s router is a Linksys model number WRT54GS, It was not my first time to configure routers in PLDT and I now it should work with automatic configuration if you change the local IP address of the router since it is pretty much similar with the modem’s local IP address. In my friend’s case, he was given a username and password by PLDT so I assume that it would be PPPoE. I tried putting it on – but it just won’t work. I tried to reset the router, powercyle and still it can’t get any IP address from the PPPoE server. So I tried to investigate the case, we first ring the ISP, they told us that it’s just PPPoE. I tried to explain that it wont work and they said it could be the router is having problem. Well, I did try requesting to make my modem as PPPoE so that we can just plug in the router directly. They said that it would not be possible because that also means they need to format the whole subdivision on my place. So we don’t have any other option but to use PPPoE. I tried reseting and updating the router again and still it can’t grab the IP address from the ISP’s side. It’s really pain in the ass that it took me 4 hours to figure out what’s the problem. So what I did is I check the connections and I found out one broadband connection that says connected. I believe that it was from PLDT and I was right. It was running silently on the background and it was the one preventing the router to act as the PPPoE dialer. So I tried disabling it and PRESTO! It works like charm! Darn.. it took half of my day configuring the whole thing.

1. Don't set it to DHCP. Set it to PPPoE and enter the name/password from your PLDT account.

2. You have to change the IP address of the router or the modem - both of them use the same default ip - 192.168.1.1. I use 192.168.2.1 for my Linksys. You need to do this to avoid conflict with your IP addresses.

3. Now go to Status and Check if it says “Connected” if not you need to disable your PPPoE dialer from PLDT. In order to do that, just go to control panel and click on network connections – now on broadband connection you should see something like a broadband from PLDT, that’s your PPPoE dialer. Right click on it and disable it.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

Comments

Leave a Reply

Geo Monitoring